Cows are rarely named as compared to other pets dogs and cats, if you are here looking for a unique cow name, it is proof that you are not following the crowd. Naming cows will give you family vibes every time you interact with them. This bovine friend either kept as a pet or a productive farm family shall be given a name that reflects their personality, trait, color, or other aspects.
Brainstorming cow names can be fun and tough at the same time. If you have introduced a new cow to the herd, it is going to be fun naming it. Looking up cow names online can spark creativity making you come up with a perfect name with these ideas.
We have compiled some of the best cow names inspired by movies, TV, Recipes, color, and traits. As the quest for naming cows begins, consider the following names.
If you can not think of any unique cow name that befits its personality, go through the following name ideas, you may come up with something on your own. Naming a cow can be difficult, one has trouble picking up the right name, nothing just fits the bill.
Not anymore, we have pulled together many unique names not just suitable for cows but other farmyard animals as well.
Top Cow Names
Famous Cow Names
Opt for the famous cow names, if you did not like any of the above-mentioned ideas. Some cow names became more popular than others because of their association with TV, literature, and movies.
We bet the cow means nothing less than a celebrity to you, would you settle for an ordinary cow name? We hope not. Here are some of the most popular cow names and where they were originated.
- Annabelle – Have you seen or heard about the movie “Annabelle’s Wish”? This creation is about a cow who wished to be a reindeer. Naming cows Annabelle would be a homage to the iconic character.
- Clarabelle – We all have been Walt Disney fans since we were kids. Wouldn’t it be cool to name a cow after a character in Disney movies? Clarabelle, a Disney cow, was introduced in Walt Disney back in 1928.
- Clara – If Clarabelle is too long for you or hard to pronounce, shorten this beautiful name to Clara.
- Belle – Have you seen the Bluebell ice cream cows commercial? This name originates from one of the characters. Still, you can watch the ad on YouTube, try searching “Belle The Singing Cow”.
- Bessie – This name is quite popular, it’s associated with a Latin word ‘Bos’ which translates to Cow, or name them Bossy which can also be another version of the aforementioned Latin word.
- Betsy – It may seem like it is another version of ” Bessie” or derived from it. It is actually a song available on YouTube, listen to it by searching ‘Betsy, The Cow”.
- Dixie – This name is popular because of the Southern feel and vibe.
- Gertie – This is one of the widely popular traditional cow names that is old-fashioned yet hip.
Cow Names Taken From Books & Movies
If Ferdinand and the Bull and Ferdinand are your favorite movies, why not name a cow after them. There are some other iconic cow characters in the movies as well as books.
- Ferdinand – Name it after the lead character of the movie or call them Ferd.
- Angus – Angus helped Ferdinand escape to find the truth about his father.
- Guapo – Guapo and Valiente were the famous bull from Casa Del Toro.
- Bones – A bully in the film but it can be a cool name for the cows, especially, skinny ones.
- Daisy – You do not know enough about the Bovine friend if you have not heard of ” Daisy The Cow”. We have to question your love for cows if you do not know about this children’s book. Daisy can be a cool name for a cow.
Some of the classic cow names have been used as bovine monikers for ages. Each name has a story and how it got famous back in the day. Have a look at these old-fashioned cow names
- Betty Sue
Female Cow Names
Looking for girly cow names? Here are some of the famous female cow names
Male Cow Names
Following are some of the famous male cow names that have been around for quite some time.
Funny Cow Names
Cows are worthy of cute and funny names because of their adorable antics. You must have been wooed by the Cowtness, well, who isn’t? Instead of going for the regular ones, choose the ones that make you fall in love with them even more.
- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Big Mac
Naming Cows on the Base of Color
Cows can be named after their color and most people tend to do so. Here are some fun color-inspired cow name ideas.
- Cookies and Cream
Cows come in different colors like brown, red, brindle, and black or white cows. These cattle colors depend on the breed and type of cows. Here are some names based on the body color of cattle.
Black Cow Names
White Cow Names
- White Chocolate
Black and White Cow Names
Brainstorm New Name
Naming a cow can be an overwhelming process, welcoming a new member to the family by giving a name puts a lot of pressure on the owner. We have decided to help you by throwing some name tips before you get to the cow name ideas.
- Think of a name that puts stress on their unique traits and features like spots of color, tufts of hair, or long eyelashes, and others. To name a cow by its characteristics, carefully examine the cow and see what’s so different about it.
- Till now, many owners have named their cows after the color-inspired theme. For instance, name them Snowdrop, Ginger, Licorice, and Chocolate, whatever reflects their color the best.
- If you are a fan of puns, why not award cow with a cleverly humorous name. The word cow can be associated with many other words.
- If nothing else, name a cow after different flowers, countries, dairy/beef products, famous artists, or cartoon characters.
- Have you lost a dear cow before? You can name a new cow in honor of the lost one.
Naming Cows on the Base of Origin
Cows are most commonly found in India, China, Pakistan, United States, and other fellow countries. Indians have a holy association with cows while in other countries, it is the source of meat and milk. Here are some names based on origin-based breeds. Read our guide on Scottish cows.
Highland cow names
- Sea Drift
Indian Cow Names
- Mahatma – Stands for Great and respectable
- Luna – Beautiful star
- Chanda – Extension of the moon shows love
- Shaan – A unisex name stands for pride
Tips To Name Cows
We can see you wobbling between different names, not sure which one to pick and which to turn down. Following tips can somewhat make it easier for you to choose a cow name.
- Bull and Heifer are named different just like other males and females. Decide do you want to name them on the basis of gender, if so, options are limitless.
- Color and breed have played an important role in naming cattle. Most cows are named after their coat colors.
- There are two types of Bovine; beef and dairy, you can choose a name according to the purpose that the cow serves.
- Have rhyming or themed names if you are naming more than one cow.
Lastly, cows are named to build a personal connection and bonding, once a cow is named, it will be a friend or a family member, not just a farmyard animal. The cow is a prized animal, the effort you put in selecting a name shows your love for the animal.