We have to take care of our pet’s basic needs. Providing healthy food is one of our duties that we are required to take seriously. Out of all the pets, rabbits have special dietary needs. They have got pretty sensitive digestive system as well, so cheap or inappropriate food can slow down or cause several deadly digestive issues.
Since this previous paragraph has got all the new and existing rabbit parents worried, we have decided to reveal the solution as well.
Rabbits are categorized as herbivores. So, they eat hay/grass and leafy greens as meals but demand slightly processed food as a treat(yes! in small amount once in a while).
Finding fresh hay/grass is not a hard nut to crack, however, searching for a nutritionally balanced treat can be a bit tricky. As you are already on a rabbit treat hunt, here are some options that may help you bring the right product home.
The best possible options listed on Amazon are;
Best Rabbit Foods and Pellets Reviews
- Best Overall: Vitakraft Menu Premium Nutrition Adult Rabbit Food
- Climate Pledge Friendly: The Small Pet Select Timothy-Based Rabbit Food
- All-natural: Oxbow Organic Bounty Adult Rabbit Food
- High Protein Rabbit Food: Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health Juvenile Rabbit Food
- Low-Fat Formula: Supreme Pet Food Limited Russel Rabbit Food
- High Fiber Rabbit Food: Kaytee Timothy Complete Rabbit Food
- Climate Pledge Friendly: Oxbow Essentials Adult Rabbit Food
- Affordable: Sherwood Pet Health Timothy Pellets Adult Rabbit Food
1. Vitakraft Menu Premium Nutrition Adult Rabbit Food
Vitakraft Menu Premium Nutrition Adult Rabbit Food is processed using rabbit-friendly ingredients. It has all the required nutrients and the foods a rabbit needs to live a healthy balanced life.
The nutrients and the fruit and vegetable blend make this rabbit food good for the rabbit’s dental, immune, and digestive health.
This Vitakraft rabbit food is a combination of more than 60 ingredients.
Dried alfalfa meal, soybean, wheat middlings, corn, heat-processed barley, ground flaxseed, steam-rolled peas, rolled wheat flakes, carob pods, and dehydrated carrots are the main sources of nutrients.
Vitakraft rabbit food is a nutritionally balanced formula. It contains a good amount of vitamin A, biotin, folic acid, riboflavin, and vitamin E.
All Rabbit breeds need biotin, folic acid, riboflavin, vitamin A and E for their health and wellness. Except for vitamin C, all vitamins and minerals are needed by the rabbits to live a balanced healthy life.
The best part of this Vitakraft deal is that the company accepts returns with an open heart.
If not satisfied, the rabbit parent can return the unused portion and claim a refund, substitution, or replacement.
Despite having all the right ingredients, it can not be served as a meal. However, serving it once or twice a week along with hay would surely not be disappointing.
- Small Sized pellets, easier to chew.
- Got a lot of ingredients
- Boosts immunity and promotes good digestion
- Promotes brain health, vision, strong immune system, and heart health
- Fruit, vegetables, pellets, and grains
- Suitable for rabbits of all ages
- Comes in a reusable bag
- Good for both domestic and wild rabbits
- Super affordable
- Made for all rabbit breeds
- Can only be stored in dry places
2. The Small Pet Select Timothy-Based Rabbit Food
The Small Pet Select Timothy-Based Rabbit food is one of the healthiest yet flavorful rabbit foods in the market.
It’s perfect for rabbits who are super picky when it comes to food. It contains a very low amount of fat and an impressive amount of protein and fiber.
Climate pledge friendly
This Timothy-based Small Pet Select rabbit food is regarded as climate-pledge friendly rabbit food.
So, if you are planning to bring this Small Pet Select rabbit food home, congratulations you have got your hands on the most sustainable product ever listed on Amazon.
No artificial colors
Later in this article, the overprotective pet parent would discover that the rabbit food should not be eye-catching. It must not be colorful enough to catch the attention.
This timothy-based rabbit food has no artificial colors, isn’t it amazing?
Main ingredients, nutrients
This Small Pet Select’s proud invention is a blend of soybean hulls, wheat, soybean oil, molasses, barley, and timothy hay of course.
All these ingredients make this rabbit food the best nutritionally balanced food available on the market.
In simpler words, this Timothy-based rabbit food has got all the crucial vitamins and minerals the rabbit needs.
If we are supposed to get more specific, this rabbit food contains zinc, copper sulfate, folic acid, biotin, riboflavin, manganese sulfate, calcium carbonate, and the list goes on.
- Tested, recommended by experts, and loved by the rabbits
- Has all the right ingredients and nutrients
- Can be a go-to choice for starters
- The company delivers fresh
- It would last months
- Can only be bought online
- High sugar content
- Contains an excessive amount of grains
- If gets moldy can cause illness, abortion, and even death
3. Oxbow Organic Bounty Adult Rabbit Food
If you are looking for rabbit food rich in Protein, Fiber, Calcium, and some other essential vitamins and minerals.
There may not be an any better idea than Oxbow Organic bounty adult rabbit food.
Oxbow animal health has been taking care of rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, rats, chinchillas, and mice food for decades.
Oxbow animal health gathers all mammal-friendly ingredients and makes the best-fortified food, supplements, treats, and enrichments. Moreover, the best hay and litter/bedding products are also just a click away.
No refined sugar, artificial preservatives, and color
Excessive amounts of sugar, preservatives, and color can cause several health issues(if consumed in noticeable quantities).
Excessive sugar throws the rabbit’s whole digestive system out of whack. Moreover, artificial preservatives and color can also cause serious health hazards.
The best part of this Oxbow Organics bounty adult rabbit food is that it has no refined sugar, artificial preservatives, and color.
Easier to feed, easy to follow feeding directions
This ready-made rabbit food is super easy to feed, no mixing is required. It comes with easy-to-follow feeding directions.
For over 1-year-old one to four lbs rabbit ⅛ cup, four to eight lbs rabbit ¼-⅓ cup, six to ten lbs rabbit ⅓-½ cup, and for 10+ lbs ¾ cup is safe to feed. Moreover, the company can also be contacted for specific feeding requirements.
Oxbow Organic bounty adult rabbit food is a balanced formula for adult rabbits, however, it might not be a good choice for pregnant or nursing rabbits.
- Comes from a well-known brand
- No artificial color, preservatives, and refined sugar
- Easy to follow feeding directions
- No mixing required
- Has got all rabbit-friendly ingredients
- Oxbow welcomes queries, specific feeding instructions can be obtained
- Highly nutritional and flavorful
- Does not contain soy
- Easy to store
- A bit expensive
- Not suitable for young, pregnant, and nursing rabbits
4. Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health Juvenile Rabbit Food
Kaytee is a vet recommended brand that has been serving us with the best scientifically formulated pet foods and treats for decades.
Kaytee’s mission is to provide nutrition to the pet and peace of mind to the pet parents. It has fairly been doing so since then.
Besides foods and treats, Kaytee is a known seller of bedding, toys, habitat, and other such accessories.
The Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health Juvenile Rabbit Food is formulated for small 1-12 months old rabbits.
It is the combination of several rabbit-friendly ingredients like wheat middlings, ground oats, sun-cured alfalfa meal, dried cane molasses, dehulled soybean meal, algae meal, ground rice, and flaxseed, etc.
Kaytee is known for manufacturing nutritionally balanced pet foods and treats. This fortie diet is just a living example of that.
It contains a good amount of calcium, vitamin A, folic acid, biotin, and riboflavin, etc.
High protein rabbit food
This Kaytee’s Forti diet pro health juvenile rabbit food is a high protein formula. Kaytee understands that bunnies need just as much protein as humans do.
It provides energy and supports healthy growth. Moreover, the amino acid protein also helps in building muscles and putting on and maintaining a healthy weight.
Promotes dental health and digestion
This Kaytee Forti diet pro health juvenile rabbit food is enriched in all necessary antioxidants, probiotics, and prebiotics that rabbits need for their health and wellness.
However, regular buyers have claimed that this Kaytee rabbit food is proven to improve dental health and digestion.
Unlike the other rabbit foods/treats recommended here, this Kaytee Forti diet pro rabbit food is specifically made for juvenile rabbits.
Juvenile rabbits are “actually” young rabbits, more specifically the rabbits below the age of 12 months. So, it may or may not be effective for adult rabbits.
- Comes from a vet recommended brand
- Protein-rich formula
- Contains all essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, prebiotics, and probiotics
- Improves dental health and digestion
- Helps in putting on weight
- Contains a good amount of calcium, vitamin A, folic acid, biotin, and riboflavin, etc.
- Made combining wheat middlings, ground oats, sun-cured alfalfa meal, dried cane molasses, dehulled soybean meal, algae meal, ground rice, and flaxseed, etc.
- Made for juvenile rabbits, rabbits below the age of twelve months
- May not be a fine option for adult rabbits
5. Supreme Pet Food Limited Russel Rabbit Food
Supreme Pet store is a leading distributor of natural pet products. It specializes in freeze-dried, air-dried, dehydrated, canned, and kibble products.
This most trusted Amazon seller is known for its handy products, affordable prices, and excellent customer service.
All-natural safe to consume Ingredients
This highly nutritional rabbit food is made by combining man-made foods and the gifts of nature.
The few main ingredients are dehydrated alfalfa meal, whole oats, soybean hulls, flaked wheat, soybean oil, wheat middlings, flaked whole corn, flaked peas, ground wheat, and ground timothy grass hay, etc.
Contains a good amount of protein, fiber, and calcium
Though this Supreme Pet food limited Russel rabbit food has got all the nutrients rabbits to need to live a balanced life.
However, it is high in protein, fiber, and calcium. All experienced rabbit parents know that this said creature needs high fiber food to wear down the continuously growing teeth.
Calcium demands healthier bones and stronger teeth. Whereas, protein provides energy, supports healthy growth, and helps in putting on weight.
No added sugar, low fats
Sugar is not healthy for humans. How would it not be harmful to this little creature? A small amount of sugar is not bad for bunnies but consuming it in noticeable amounts frequently may not be healthy.
Since the regular food or treat should not contain sugar, the Supreme Pet Food Limited Russel rabbit food is sugar-free.
Moreover, besides being free from sugar it contains a low amount of fats. No added sugar and the low-fat combo makes it the best rabbit food available in the market.
Colorful yet safe
It is believed that the colorful eye-catching rabbit food is super unhealthy.
However, this Supreme Pet Food Limited Russel rabbit food is an exception. It’s safe yet colorful and eye-catching enough to encourage healthy eating.
- Easy to feed
- Comes with a detailed feeding guide
- High fiber, protein, and calcium formula
- Helps in wearing down continuously growing teeth, building stronger bones, putting on weight, and providing energy
- Equally healthy for all rabbit breeds including dwarf rabbits
- Colorful yet safe
- Contains no added sugar
- Low-fat formula
- Contains dehydrated alfalfa meal, whole oats, soybean hulls, flaked wheat, soybean oil, wheat middlings, flaked whole corn, flaked peas, ground wheat, and ground timothy grass hay, etc.
- Makes the rabbit picky eater
6. Kaytee Timothy Complete Rabbit Food
The other worth-mentioning rabbit food that made it to our list is the Kaytee timothy complete rabbit food. The 9.5 rabbit food bag has got all the nutrients rabbits to need to remain healthy, alert, and active.
Comes from a vet recommended brand
Kaytee is one of the few vet’s trusted brands. Their animal and bird foods manufactured by this brand are safe and healthy to consume.
No sugary fruits and loose seeds
This rabbit food is simply as colorless and rabbit-friendly as rabbit food should be. It has got no sugary fruits and loose seeds.
No sugary fruits and loose seeds do not just make this rabbit food healthy but also prevent picky eating.
High fiber rabbit food
Fiber is an essential nutrient that rabbits need for several important functions. To be more specific, this high-fiber rabbit food helps in wearing down continuously growing teeth, keeping the digestive system from overworking, and their intestines functioning properly.
No mixing required, easy to feed
This rabbit food comes in a ready-to-feed form. The pet parents do not need it to mix or let it go through a process to bring it to a consumable form.
Moreover, it comes with easy-to-feed instructions so you have got no legitimate reasons to not consider it a healthy option.
Equally healthy for all rabbit breeds
This rabbit food is not made for one specific breed, it’s equally beneficial and healthy for all small, medium, and large-sized rabbit breeds.
- Comes from a well-known vet recommended brand
- Has got all the right ingredients and nutrients
- Comes in ready to feed form
- Unlike the cheap rabbit foods, got no loose seeds and sugary fruits
- High fiber formula
- helps in wearing down continuously growing teeth
- Keeps the digestive system from overworking
- Keeps the intestines functioning properly
- Comes with easy to feed feeding directions
- Suitable for all rabbit breeds
- Prevents picky eating
- Keeps the rabbits healthy, alert, and active
- Made with timothy hay
- Encourages chewing
7. Oxbow Essentials Adult Rabbit Food
Oxbow Animal health is tirelessly working to bring healthier foods and treats for rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs, rats, chinchillas, and mice, etc.
This Oxbow’s foods and treats are made under the strict veterinarians and nutritionists’ guidance.
All-natural ingredients have essential nutrients
This Oxbow’s creation contains all the essential ingredients that rabbits need for their health and wellness.
The top five ingredients that make the Oxbow essential adult rabbit food highly nutritional are; soybean hulls, cane molasses, wheat middlings, timothy grass meal, and soybean meal.
Climate pledge friendly
It’s no secret that the “climate pledge friendly” is a label launched in 2020. This climate pledge-friendly badge or label is given to the products that are safe for the targeted audience and the environment.
This Oxbow essentials adult rabbit food has been labeled as climate pledge friendly, so it is one hundred percent safe to feed.
Comes in adult and young rabbit versions
Unlike the other rabbit foods and treat, this Oxbow essential rabbit food is available in young and adult rabbit food versions.
So, if you searching for feed for young rabbits, choose the young rabbit version otherwise the adult rabbit food is a fine option.
No seeds, fruits, mystery bits, refined sugar, preservatives, and artificial ingredients
There are millions of reasons to consider Oxbow essentials adult rabbit food. The two most legitimate ones are that it has got no refined sugar, artificial flavor, or ingredients.
Moreover unlike the cheap rabbit food this Oxbow essentials adult/young rabbit food is one hundred percent free from seeds, fruits, and mystery bits. This makes it more safe and healthy to consume.
Made in the USA
This forgiving rabbit food in the United States of America. It meets the requirements of American food standards. So, it can be chosen without any second thoughts.
- No seeds, fruits, mystery bits, refined sugar, preservatives, and artificial ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Has got all the right ingredients and nutrients
- Climate pledge friendly
- Available in young and adult rabbit versions
- One hundred percent safe and healthy to feed
- Age-specific formula
- Carefully crafted with prebiotics and chelated minerals
- Discourages picky eating habit
- Easy to follow feeding directions
- A bit expensive
8. Sherwood Pet Health Timothy Pellets Adult Rabbit Food
Sherwood Pet Health is formed by a rabbit enthusiast to serve the overprotective pet parents. It has got all the rewarding ingredients like timothy hay, safflower meal, and whole flaxseeds, etc.
Soy, gluten/grain, and animal by-products free
This Sherwood Pet Health is 100% percent free from cheap rabbit food ingredients like soy, gluten/grains, and animals by-products.
Moreover, it has got no other cheap fillers as well. No animal by-products make this Sherwood Pet Health timothy pellets adult rabbit food more healthy and considerable.
Contains all the right vitamins and minerals
It’s pretty obvious from the ingredients that this Sherwood Pet Health timothy pellets adult rabbit food has got all the needed vitamins and minerals.
If we are still supposed to be a bit more specific, it contains copper, chelated amino acids, protein, and niacin, etc.
Climate pledge friendly
The term “climate pledge friendly” does not need any introduction. It’s a label that is given to the safest and healthiest Amazon products.
This Sherwood Pet Health timothy pellets adult rabbit food is labeled as climate pledge friendly rabbit food. So, it’s safe to consider, order, and feed.
Compact design (no excess air)
Unlike the bag of lays and other snacks, this Sherwood rabbit food packet has got no excess air. It is rather fairly filled. So, you would not be paying for the air(that is free anyway) but a highly nutritional food.
Highly nutritional for all rabbit breeds
This rabbit food is not made for any specific rabbit breed, it is rather combined to serve all the rabbit breeds fairly. So whether it’s an expensive or cheap rabbit breed, this Sherwood Pet Health timothy pellets adult rabbit food is the right option.
- Listed with all necessary details and feeding guides
- Compact by design
- Climate pledge friendly
- Timothy hay-based rabbit food
- Got no cheap soybean or rice hulls
- Has no grains or animals by-products
- Contain timothy hay, safflower meal, whole flaxseed, etc
- Nutritionally balanced
- Works for picky eaters
- Got all positive reviews
- No artificial colors
- Not so attractive to the eyes
How to Find the Right Rabbit Food?
Finding good quality, highly nutritional rabbit food is crucial as the said little fellas can get sick or even die eating the unhealthy option.
You have to be careful about every pet’s food but these bunnies need more attention. Just so you do not end up getting the worse option, here’s what you need to pay attention to;
What deserves your undivided attention is “ingredients”. As per the experts, rabbit food should have wheat, bean, maize, sorghum, lucerne crumbles, hay/grass, limestone, salt, and vegetable/animal oil, etc.
So, make sure the rabbit food you have been considering for a while has all or a few of the above-mentioned ingredients.
Go through the ingredients twice, if it contains potatoes, onion, cereals, processed grains, olives, leeks, garlic, dates, and any members of the nightshade vegetable family put it back on the rack.
Humans, animals, and all other creatures eat food for the sake of nutrients and energy.
The rabbits are just no exception, they need nutrients for health and wellness. Rabbits need an adequate amount of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, fats, vitamins, minerals.
Be careful that the ready-made rabbit food or treat you are about to feed your rabbit has all the crucial nutrients it needs for its health and wellness.
Since you have chosen to feed ready-made food that is more expensive than the other food options. Choose the option that is affordable and has a fair amount of feed. So make sure the feed bag has enough feed to last at least a month.
If your rabbit is used to eating a certain kind of food or addicted to a flavor, the flavor should also be your concern.
The budget should never be overlooked especially when it’s not a one-time cost. You have to pay for food every day, week, month, and year so the rabbit food should be fairly priced.
Tips that Can Help You in Finding the Right Rabbit Food
All sorts of ready-made rabbit food contain a balanced amount of vitamins and minerals that a rabbit needs to live a balanced life, yet it requires you to make a thoughtful decision.
If it’s still hard to gather all the healthiest options, here are some tips that would help you in finding the right food for your pet rabbit.
- Fiber content should always be above 20% as it’s essential for the overall growth of the digestive system.
- Fat content shouldn’t exceed 3%, above that can cause obesity.
- The accepted amount of Protein in any food is 13%, not more not less, can potentially go to 12-14% but not more or less than that.
- Carbohydrates should cover the remaining percentage of food, it’s the main source of energy for rabbits, remember Carbohydrates with sugar are not good for these little fellas, try to keep it as close to the natural level as possible.
- Avoid products with a high amount of sugar in them.
- Make sure the rabbit food is not colorful, it must not look attractive to the human eye.
- Pellets must not contain dried fruits, nuts, or any other colored crunchy things.
- Do not hesitate to take help from your bunny’s vet.
- Look for a high fiber low protein option, the high protein rabbit foods cause obesity and other serious health issues.
- Make sure it is specifically made for the said animal.